AC's Thoughts On Life

Hello one and all! I am here for the purpose of my Honors English class. This is where I will write down my thoughts about anything and everything. Just know that they will not help solve world hunger or cause world peace, but, they should be oddly entertaining! Enjoy!

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Who's Truly to Blame?

There have been many conflicts over what is alright for tv and what shouldn't be there. That got me to wondering about things. I've heard from a lot of TV specials or talk shows, magazine articles, and such and how TV is corrupting children and teens and that they shouold be more strict about what is allowed on television. I can kind of see where they are coming from to a point. You can't turn on the television and not have one of the following things come onto the screen within the next 20 minutes ; swearing, sex, violence, or partying. Most of these things weren't even allowed on tv 30 years ago. But wait, if it wasn't allowed 30 years ago, then why is it that it is able to be shown now? Something must have happened in order to change things. That's right, that change was from us, the very people that are trying to stop it. We allways demanded freedom of speech and being able to do whatever we felt like on the TV. We wanted it so much that we changed the rules and yet now we aren't happy with what we chose so we want to change it back. I don't think that it's a bad thing to want to make it so that there aren't so many things like that on TV but it looks like if you don't want your kids and teens to be " negatively influenced" by the television, you're simply going to have to put parental blocks on the television shows or simply just cut down on the television viewing hours. One more thing that I want to add is that I think people need to stop blaming the bad things that teens do on the influence of the television. I watch all the popular shows on the television and yeah I see all of those things but I never go out and do it. You can't completly blame the show for the behavior of the teen. Infact, it almost seems as though the type of show that the teen is watching depends on the type of teen that is watching it ( if that makes any sense). All in all, I think that people blame television just beacause it's the easiest thing to blame for the problem. It's not human and the blame is then off of the shoulders of the parents. If you were really conserned about the effects of the TV on your children, then why do you have a television?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home